Question
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/12/08

I C E

Hope you've all know about this ?

The paramedic's and emergency services have asked that you put under the name "ICE" which stands for IN CASE OF EMERGENCE the one number of the person closest to you. So should something happen to you they will look for ICE on your phone and contact that person!

But as G say's hopefully in this wonderful country of ours your cell will not have been stolen while you are left for dead.....

:-))

I don't think anything mentioned on 94.7 is guaranteed to be accurate or not a hoax or urban legend. Not a bad idea to list your next of kin --- but why not as "next of Kin" ?

7
Posted by: Lee | 2005/12/08

There is a VERY useful website - w .w .w.truthorfiction.com. Its aim is to filter out which emails are hoaxs and which are indeed truth - Just type whatever seems to be the main subject in the search box and voila!! you know.

In the case of ICE apparently it is truth - whether or not in south africa I don't know... perhaps the powers that be are trying to latch onto something which makes sense that is being used overseas?

Anyway.. check out the website... its very cool

Oh and the virus part is not true at all :)

Reply to Lee
Posted by: ~Wings~ | 2005/12/08

Maybe this is some sort of inititative to get people to start being pro active.
To be honest with you, when one is needing information to get contact of next of kin, they usually hand the personal belongings to the police!

Apparently this ICE was a part of a email virus.
If it's making a difference and saving lives then why not?

~Wings~

Reply to ~Wings~
Posted by: M&M | 2005/12/08

~Wings~ if you decided to check a cell phone in an emergency and you saw 'ICE' - now that you know about it, what would you think?

Reply to M&M
Posted by: M&M | 2005/12/08

Emergency staff do check cell phones for numbers to contact family or friends in the case of emergency. My brother was contacted by netcare 911 when I had an accident after they found his number on my cell. I'm sure if they saw ' ICE ' .they would know what it meant and it could be helpful. What would the purpose of this 'hoax' be? No one has anything to gain, except the person using it.

Reply to M&M
Posted by: ~Wings~ | 2005/12/08

CP Mom I honestly don't know.
I'm a qualified medic, and I've NEVER heard of ICE but like I've said I've heard of the mails etc.

Like I said - do a google search.

Best wishes to you!

~Wings~

Reply to ~Wings~
Posted by: CP MOM | 2005/12/08

BUT WHY ?

Even 94.7 advertised it ?

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: ~Wings~ | 2005/12/08

I believe this to be a hoax.

Sorry!
Maybe overseas, but not here in SA that I know of.
But I have read the emails suggesting that one should add ICE to their phones.

Try doing a Google search, ICE in case of emergency hoax and you'll see.

~Wings~

Reply to ~Wings~