Question
Posted by: dittohead | 2006/04/16

I believe there is no such thing as energy healing...

I have studied reflexology and it has incorporated the meridians and the five elements that the chinese came up with. You know, the meridians are the channels of energy and along them are acupuncture points where the energy usually gets stuck and this is where acupuncturists or shiatsu practitioners apply pressure with needles or fingers to unbreak the blocked energy.
All I gotta say is that avcupuncture and this energy stuff was made up 5000 years ago and I think the chinese did the best they could to understand the human body. And associating the body's organs with emotions was the best they could think of. For example associating the liver with the emotion anger.
At my school I even learnt that a dent in the chin or a line going downward between the eyes equals problems with the liver or wood element which controls the liver and gallbladder meridians.
How can one have a line between the eyes and have liver problems, what doe that have to do with the liver. When we all gave eachother reflexology in class nobody had reactions. When I did my case studies my patients didnt have reactions. And when I received reflexology or reiki which are both related because they are both based on energy healing they produced no results and there was no difference. Even our Anatomy and Physiology teacher at the reflexology school said he experienced no results and me and him would spend many afternoons chatting and trying to figure out if these energy therapies are of any value.
The truth is that they are not!
The only thing an energy therapy like acupuncture or reflexology ca do is lower pain the body. They are also well known mostly for pain relief. The reason for this is simple, we have a gate of pain and sensations that the body can take. And when we have more sensations and feelings felt from say a needle or massage our body cannot focus as much on the pain as much as before.
Sports masage is excellent because it is tangible and has scientifically proven and obvious results: pain relief. The muscles where there is a problem are actually stimulated and relaxed and there is a proven result. Whereas with reflexology where the pituitary galnd is situated on the big toe and by stimulating it on the toe affects this important gland is pure nonsense. It is the same as many people who look at foodstuff and see jesus face in it and believe that it is jesus communicating with them for example. How does a tiny area on the big toe affect the pituitary gland? Not possible, only if there is perhaps a nerve that is related somehow.
Energy therapists are also clever and say things like you didnt absorb energy this time or you must relax then it will only work to cover up for the fact that the therapy will not work.
Cybershrink take a look at skepdic dot com and see the work of robert carol and his teachings on alternative medicine and the unexplained. Have you studied any alternative therapies doctor?? Which ones were useful for you?
Cool. Thanks

Hi dittohead,
Sheesh ! I wrote a long and utterly brilliant respons to your interesting question, but then just as I was finishing it and before I could save a copy of it, XP crashed and IE froze, and I couldn't post it or save it, and it was lost forever. Now my brain freezes over and won't allow me to try to say the same thing again, as it is convinced that I have already done that.
So, in summary --- the old oriental theories you mention are similar to old Greek / Roman / medieval European theories of the Four Temperaminets, based on the four supposed body flueds, so tghat people were described as Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholic, and Phlegmatic, according to whether they were supposed to have an excess of blood, yellow bile, black bile, or water. The principal difference between orthodox Western medicine and the others is that we long ago adopted the scientific method for testing our theories and methods, and are prepared to abandon ideas and treatments that dont work or cant eb shown to be effective. I've lost count of the number of treatments which were solemnly taught to us which I had to describe for my final exams, which would now be considered dangerous. So the big difference is not so much the details, as the way that the other old traditions reject critical testing of their beliefs and methods, and believe basically that if your grandfather said it was so, it IS so. They don't noticeably refine or develop their methods, and don't discard beliefs that are not working.
So, of the "Alternative" methods, the best do what much of current medicine does, and relieve symptoms rather than cure things. Acupuncture is useful in SOME cases of pain, and massage helps for very simple reasons ; meditatio of various forms helps to promote relaxation. That's about it.
As you notice, the Alternative methods all have very fierce ways for explaining away why their treatments didn't work, always blaming the patient and not the treatment.
I like the Skepdic site, and also quackwatch.org, and others.
And as you say, there are remakably few of the prominent practitioners of "Alternative healing" who don't themselves use orthodox medicine when they are in need. And Tango raises a vitally important point --- one thing most alternative practitioners are excellent at, is the therapist-patiwent relationship --- they are pretty good at making you feel confident and happy, by using simple and well-known methods of chat.

7
Posted by: Blue | 2006/04/17

I believe it all has its place, if its not for you then so be it.

I have always been sceptical and have trouble believing in things I cant see, yeah yeah that could be a whole nother thread if taken up the wrong way.

Anyway, this is what I do know...accupuncture (as practiced by my GP who combines both western and alternative therapy) saved me from having an operation. I was already booked into hospital as the specialists said only an operation would do the trick as nothing else had worked and my GP came to visit me there. He performed accupuncture on me, I had nothing to loose and I allowed him to do it mainly because he had especially come out to see me after hours and I thought it was the least I could do..I was basically humouring him. The following day I was discharged (no operation) and have never had a problem with my wrist ever again.

I trust my GP with my life and he has been treating me with accupuncture for most of my ailments and Im so incredibly happy with the outcome. I know western / scientific medicine and natural alternative medicine is two completely different mindsets and thats why you dont normally find a Dr practicing both but hats off to mine. He's been my Doc for the past 25 years and has always ensured that Ive recieved the best posible treatment whether it be western or alternative. Which brings me back to what I said earlier, there is definately a place for both.

I have also had positive results from Reiki which has a holistic aproach. Not knowing me from a bar of soap the person performing it picked up on all my problem areas and was spot on about them. That has helped me when western doctors could not.

I have been for reflexology and found it to be very relaxing and thats about it. I have since discussed it with several people who practice alternative medicine and they said it has become very outdated and has not progressed and evolved. There are way better treatments currently available.

I think it would be naive for anyone to swear that they would only use western / alternative therapy exclusively (even practitioners). When the day comes that one of them are not working for you, you will try the other...why not? :)

Reply to Blue
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/17

Having a medical background I am generally a sceptic and tend to like things to be scientifically proven. However, I keep an open mind. I have had Reflexology and Kineseology and did feel good afterwards. But I chatted a lot to the therapists and chatting generally makes one better anyhow!!! I like to combine western and alternative therapies to suit myself.

Reply to Tango
Posted by: dittohead | 2006/04/16

Annie, dittohead is a song by slayer off the divine intervention album loser!
Energy Healing - I studied it and tried it out and therefore I have a choice whether to practise it or not and to believe in it or not. There are plenty of people who study and then go on to do something different or even drop out of their studies because they didnt like it. I kept on trying with it, besides we only really did case studies near the end anyway.
Seriously Annie if you have something constructive to say, then say it, cause with that comment you have put across no argument and no reason for your anger.
-|- haha

Reply to dittohead
Posted by: Energy Healing | 2006/04/16

Why are you studying it if you don't believe in it?....

Reply to Energy Healing
Posted by: Annie | 2006/04/16

Dittohead your nic says it all.

Reply to Annie
Posted by: dittohead | 2006/04/16

Thanks Tango! Have you tried any therapies yourself?
If there is such a thing as energy therapy and it's supposed to be a master helper of illness why isnt it used by everyone already and why arent GP's going out of business? You know what happens when a reflexologists gets sick? They see a GP!! haha

Reply to dittohead
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/16

I read your post with great interest and look forward to CS response.

Reply to Tango