Posted by: sandra | 2012/11/28

i believe i have a disorder

i was raped in 2009. i never went for therapy. i dealt with it in my own way but i developed fear and had many panic attacks. they stopped for a while. and now on saturday night i woke up to a screaching sound of cats fighting. emmediately after i started vommiting and my tummy started to work. i feel numb and i am shaking constantly, i am sad and crying. i am tired and if someone touches me or comes near me i panic. i had a bad panic attack on monday morning and went to the doctor. i feel like i am dying. i was put on an anti depression but i am still very nervous, i cant handle crowds of people around me and my heart stops for the slightest noise. i am slurring and i feel as though i have become deaf. i cant think clearly and i have had pins and needles all over my body. i also tremble alot and am edgy. i am tired all the time and naesuos. i have been vommiting since then and my tummy is working. i cant laugh. it feels fake. i feel as though nobody is listening to my sypmtoms. i dont even trust the doctors. i feel like i have changed because i am usually a happy person. Please help :(

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It does indeed sound very much as though you are suffering from some disorder following the rape that was not effecively dealt with at the time. Panic disorder, perhaps, maybe also PTSD. Sometimes these conditions start soon after the original trauma, sometimes they come on later.
The symptoms you describe, though in some ways they may seem many and varied, all make excellent sense as symptoms of a severe anxiety and panic attack. PTSD more typically, though it can include such symptoms as these, will include flashbacks and unpleasantly sharp memories of the trauma / rape, and symptoms coming on when circumstances remind you of the trauma - when something looks, smells, sounds, reminiscent of the original events.
In any case, you do need to see a good local psychiatrist for a proper and detailed assessment and a discussion of your treamtment options. In my experience this is most effective when it includes medicines which are also used to treat depression ( whether or not you are actually depressed as well ) and ALSO a special form of counselling from a psychologist with experience in this area, called CBT, Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ). Be assertive in getting the assessment and advice you need and deserve, and with proper treatment you should be gaining control over these ugly symptoms fairly soon, and gaining the ability to gradually put this behind you.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.