Question
Posted by: EXHAUSTED | 2006/07/19

I AM VERY TIRED

Hi Dietdoc

I had some good advice from Cyberdoc, seems like my chronic back pain causes fatigue. She suggested I take Vit B, however what I want to know (since they can't find any other reason for the fatigue + I do take vitamins) where do I find a list or a diet of foods that particularly promote energy?

I am already spending a lot of money on physio and other supportive back treatments so I can't go to a dietician right now. I just want to try and help my flagging energy.

What else can you suggest?

Dear Exhausted
Extreme exhaustion could be due to the constant back pain, the medications you may be taking to treat the pain and also a lack of physical activity caused by the back pain. Another cause of extreme fatigue could be iron-deficiency anaemia. Have you been tested for anaemia? If not, discuss this with the dr who is treating you for the back pain and also ask him/her if any of the medications could be causing this problem. Foods that provide plenty of energy adn B vitamins are unprocessed, unsifted grains and cereals. Carbohydrates are the best source of energy for the human body, so make sure that you are eating sufficient on a daily basis. Foods that are rich in iron include red meat, liver, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals (check on the label) and bread, plus dried fruit. It may be advantgeous to take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Supradyn Forte for 2 or more months to see if this will make you feel more energised. Another factor that could make you feel totally exhausted is depression, which you may have developed because of being in constant pain. If this should be the case, then ask your dr to treat you for it.
Hope you feel better soon