Question
Posted by: Mienke | 2004/11/11

I am totally underweight-need to gain about 10kg!

Please help me with tablets or shakes (I don't really love the shakes that much) that will help me to gain a bit of weight.
I got very poor appetite and only eat because i need to...

Dear Mienke
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Also aks the dr for an appetite stimulant or take a vitamin B complex supplement to promote appetite. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about this and other Nutritional Supplements.