Question
Posted by: lola | 2005/11/21

I am going crazy

O.k. I need help. I need ti know what i can take to relax. I get so upset about things i want to hit people or swear at them. I am not a agressive person, it's just the last 5 months or so and the last 2 weeks has been hell. I hate everyone and everything. Everyone irritates me. Something small .... please help i feel like i just want to walk out of my life. I do not have Med.aid, so i can not afford to see a shrink or get anti depressants.

Hello lola, OK, so you're not going crazy ( or you wouldn't be brilliant enough to post your question here !). But it feels bad, I hear that. The main problem you describe sounds like extreme irritability, which could relate to Depression or anxiety/stress, or both. Why not try to arrange to see a GP, or a shrink through the major local state/provincial hospital, or at the Dept of Psychiatry at your nearest medical school ?
And work on plans to reduce the stress you're encountering, which sounds like much of it is at home --- discuss it with your bf, who needs to reduce the workload and help to do the chores. He must care for himself and not expect you to do so much for him, or for his friends. Doing so would relieve the pressure on you, and you'd be even more fun to be around.

Posted by: Gert | 2005/11/21

Dear Lola,

I think it is a blessing for you that you can't afford anti-depressants - lots of studies show that their use leads to increased probability of suicide...

I read something a while ago that really puts things into perspective for me (as a single father with two teenagers and one-day-a-week char): if you can see your housekeeping and parenting chores as "selfless service" then it becomes a spiritual practise rather than a burden, and uplifts the spirits.
It is also said that LOVE is a VERB not a NOUN, so it is what we DO for others and not what we feel for them. Children (and spouses) can and do take us for granted but if we can do what we need to do as the practise of "unconditional love" then it can only enrich ourselves...
Forget about recognition from those you are serving. Your first responsibility is towards your Self.
The Persian poet Rumi said it beautifully: "Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - there are a thousand ways to greet the day"
All the best on your Journey...

Reply to Gert
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/21

lola, don't cry! Plaster a HUUUUGGGGEEE grin on your face. Makes you feel better and does wonders for your mentality!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: lola | 2005/11/21

Thank you, you guys are so nice i just want to cry.

Reply to lola
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/21

Ouch!!
Cleaning, cooking, looking after other people.

We HAve to do those things, but really, is ungreatful job & nobody is going to thank you for it.

Restin is a light calming pilletjie. it helps when you feel you wanna bite holes in walls, but rather look deeper than short term plan.
Like frusty said
Look after yourself first.
Social abit.(with YOUR friends) Laugh abit. get outa the routine. its enough to make anyone go bonkers!!

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/21

Well, firstly, I am 43 and feel like 23, so feeling like 40 means nothing to me!!! Hahahaha! Okay, down to serious stuff. You need to MAKE time for yourself. So what if you only do the vacuuming once a week instead of twice. Just an example. Don't let things like that worry you. No-one will even notice or care, believe me. My house is always spotlessly clean, but if I don't get around to doing something that is supposed to be done on the day, what the hell! I do not let it get to me. The next thing you need to do is start telling everyone that they need to get their own stuff ready and doing their own dishes, beds, dusting their own rooms etc. It is not fair on you or them. This way you will be less crabby and therefore better to live with, so it will benefit them in the long run. THEN, with the extra time, do something that pleases you. Even if it is going for a walk every evening, DO IT! You will be amazed at the difference it makes to your outlook on life.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: lola | 2005/11/21

I just do not have time, i joined the church, because i felt i needed that. After work weekdays it's cleaning, getting everyones things ready for the next day, housework, dishes.. you know. Weekends the same, b\friens friend coming over, doing stuff for him... i hate it. i am only 23 and feel like 40!!

Reply to lola
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/21

lola, do you have any hobbies or sports that you enjoy? I find that that is a fantastic way to relieve stress. Join a club of some kind or take up a hobby, whether it is fabric painting or pottery or something! You need to get your mind off your daily routine.

Reply to Frusty