Question
Posted by: Keiran | 2006/10/30

I am doing the right exercise

Hi there,

I am looking to lose 3/4 kgs and then tone. I am 33 years old, female and weight 59kgs. Currently I attend gym 3-4 times a week. At gym I run on the treadmill for 20 minutes (at a speed between 8.2 - 9.5) and my heart rate usually reached around 175. I then do the super circuit, and finish of with 5-10 minutes of cycling or stepping.... am I do the right type of exercise to tone and lose those last few kg's. I also paddle once or twice a month (surf ski) for about 30-45 minutes.

Hi Keiran

Sounds good to me! You have the cardio component in there, the super circuit will also help you to burn more calories, just try to keep the intensity high - don't ever allow it to drift to the point where you start to feel that you are cooling off or it is becoming too static. Obviously, don't overdo it and end up crawling home on your knees, but try to keep the level up there for best results.

Just a word of caution, make sure that your goals are set right - you should focus on getting fitter initially and try to forget about weight loss. Weight loss comes much later, and in the early phases, it's actually quite rare to see major loss, especially when you only have a few kilograms to lose. So what may happen is that you will GAIN weight, as you increase muscle mass - this is a good thing, because toning was one of the goals of your training. However, don't be put off by a failure to lose kilograms - you may well lose fat, also a good thing, but you gain muscle, making evaluation difficult. The only way to deal with this is to focus on fitness and get yourself faster on those runs and feeling more comfortable. For example, if you run at 9.0 km/h, are you feeling better in two weeks compared to now? If yes, then you are on track!