Question
Posted by: NO ENERGY | 2003/02/11

I am always tired with a very low energy level.

I am a vegetarian, but eat mostly junk food. I am always tired, have a low concentration span and struggle to get out of bed every morning. My energy level is extremely low. I cannot do any energetic tasks, as I become tired quite easily. I do not like feeling lethargic and am also overweight due to my sweet tooth and love of fried food. Please help

Dear Reader
Your lack of energy is probably due to your poor eating habits, but one must always keep in mind that vegetarians run the risk of developing iron-deficiency and B12-deficiency anaemias. So PLEASE have a medical checkup to make quite sure that you are not iron or B12 deficient. Ask the dr to check your blood mineral levels (calcium, magnesium and potassium) at the same time, as deficiencies of these minerals can also make you feel tired. Also ask him/her to check your thyroid levels as an underactive thyroid can cause one to feel sluggish and pick up weight. In the meanwhile, try concentrating on eating low-fat foods and doing some exercise - start slowly by going for gentle walks in the fresh air to oxygenate your system. As you get fitter, you can walk more briskly and do more exercise to stimulate your metabolism and reduce your weight. I would also like to suggest that you take a good vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte, plus Salmon oil capsules (for the omega-3).
Take care

1
Posted by: K | 2003/02/11

And you wonder why you are 'always tired with a very low energy level'!!??
If you are a committed vegetarian, then all you have to do is cut out the junk! You can allow yourself some fried chips etc, every now and then but in moderation! Also I think you need to take a good multivitamin which contains iron for the tiredness and chromium to balance out your sugar level which will sort out the cravings. Start exercising, begin with going for walks. Only you can get off your butt and do something about it. You only have one life... live it to its full potential

Reply to K