Question
Posted by: DEPRESSED | 2007/05/08

I AM A MEAN PERSON.....

I HAVE HAD MANY PEOPLE TELL ME THAT I HAVE A COLD HEART. IT HURT AT FIRST BUT I CAN'T HELP WONDERING IF THEY WERE RIGHT. I'M VERY RESERVED, LIKE TO MIND NOBODY'S BEEZWAX.I DO HAVE A SMALL TEMPER. WHEN PEOPLE ARE BAD TO ME, I END UP HATING THEM. HATE IS A BAD WORD, I HAVE BEEN LIVIN LIKE THIS EVER SINCE I WAS YOUNG, PROBLEMS WITH MY MOM, HAD A ROUGH CHILDHOOD, WAS ABUSED MENTALLY AND PHYSICAL. I KNOW THIS IS NO EXCUSE, BUT I HAVE A SON, AND I THINK I AM HORRIBLE TO HIM. I AM A SINGLE MOM (26). I CAN'T STOP MYSELF BEING MEAN, TO MY SON AND OTHERS. I HATE MYSELF.
I CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE MY CHILD, OR MY BF OF 3YRS. I AM VERY STRESSD AT WORK,AT HOME WITH BF, MAKIN SURE MY SON GETS THE BEST, BEING A MOM AND DAD. MY EX SHOWS NO INTEREST IN HIS SON.
DOES THIS HAVE TO RESORT TO PRO HELP? I HATE TO SAY THAT I CAN'T FIND TIME WITH MY HECTIC LIFE.
PLS HELP THE HORRIBLE PERSON INSIDE ME.

It could be a combination of your temper and the style with which you communicate to others, that gives them this impression of you. As you recognize, though, the way in which this might impact on your son is where this gets really serious. Seeing a CBt style counsellor to help you change these habits of thought and action could be very useful for both of you. OK< its hard to see how to find time to do this ? How much more time will it take NOT to do this >

2
Posted by: Britty | 2007/05/08

If it was true when people told you you had a cold heart it would not have hurt you. It hurt you because you have feelings and a heart. Yes your life has not been easy and even now its now easy as you are feeling the pressure of mothering your child, keeping your boyfriend happy etc and that can make anybody mean and badtempered. But if you were to think of anything happening to your child and your man I bet you would be broken hearted.

Don't waste your time hating people who hurt you as it has absolutely no effect on them but it has a negative effect on you. But seek out professional help in coming to terms with your childhood and help wtih living in the here and now. Take care.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: Op | 2007/05/08

I know how you feel as I am going through the same thing. I hate people who do the slightest wrong to me and I cannot let things go. I also feel the anger eating me up inside, making me a bad person. I say seek help before it eats you up. I am trying anger management at the moment and it seems to be helping

Reply to Op