Question
Posted by: Joan | 2005/12/04

Hystorectomy 21 yrs ago. Never taken hormones - hot flushes

I am 49 years old. I have had 13 ops (c sections, tubes tied, endiometris, 2 x blockages, plastic pipes removed- left in by doc,etc.... ) About 8 years ago I took Premarin for about 4 months and as I did not feel any different I stopped taking it. I have taken Sepia for the last 4 - 5 years. I find now I am having up to 15 - 20 hot flushes in a day and night. I am also experiencing night sweats- sometimes 4 - 5 times a night. I have never been a person to perspire but lately the sweat runs off me. I read that a glass of white dry wine helps with menopause and have been having wine everyday for the past 7 - 8 years and it has helped. I am a very active person, I do my own house work, garden, I have 3 dogs and 3 grown up children still living at home, my husband has his own business and I work for him too. I also go to gym 3 - 4 times a week. In the last year we moved from Jhb to CT and I had to set up house in CT on my own with my children as my husband is doing his commercial pilots liscence in JHB. I did not think I was too stressed out by the move - but now my husband is with us Permanent in CT- I seem to be burnt out. I do not sleep well at night and wake very early in the mornings 4.30 - 5am. I eat fairly well and watch what I eat and drink because of the 2 blockages I have had. I weigh 58 kg's but have put on +- 6 kg's in the last year and I can't seem to loose it. I take vitamins and supplements. I also smoke.
Could you please tell me what I can do / take etc for the hot flushes. Bloodtests etc. I have not seen a gynie for approx 10 years.

Many thanks
Joan

You seem to live a healthy lifestyle apart from the smoking. Premarin would help many of your side effects. You should, however, consult a gynaecologist first as smoking may be a contraindication and I am also not sure what the blockages are that you mentioned.

1
Posted by: Joan | 2005/12/06

The blockages were of the intestines. Colon and bladder were affected - but with proper diet I seem to be managing. I will have to go and see a gynie - but to find a GOOD one in SA is a little bit hard to do. Thank you for your time and good wishes to you.

Reply to Joan