Question
Posted by: 20 something | 2008/01/23

hysteria

HI Doc

Is there a possible viatmin deficiency that i suffer from? I am very worried. my symptoms are as follows.
1. Forgetfullness (worsening)
2. I cannot concentrate (it is getting worse)
3. i seem to become dummer
4. Lack of awareness (it seems as if i am jsut drifting through time, not paying attention to anything around me. I try very hard to but cant seem too)
5. depression

i am busy with studies and find it extremely difficult. My general knowledge is degrading. i tend to forget basic words. this might sound overwelming but i am getting very worried. i am 28 years old. This is severly affecting my career. Please help. The worse is the concentration and forgetfullness.

Various vitamin deficiencies can indeed produce reduced / impaired mental functioning, but this isn't really likely in a young person like you if they are eating a normal healthy diet. The pharmaceutical companies make fortunes by persuading us to be concerned about possible vitamin deficiencies and selling enormously, hugely over-priced vitamin supplements. What would be best, as there are so many potential causes for this group of symptoms, would be to see ideally a good local psychiatrist, at least a good GP ( ? maybe in student health ? ) for a complete physical check-up and check for Depression, and then to discuss the likely causes based on the findings of that assessment. Its not hysteria !