Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2004/11/30

Hysterectomy - URGENT

After intensive bleeding for 2 weeks, i went to see my GP who recommended me to a gynaecologist. According to the sonar i have a large growth on my uterus, my uterus is enlarged and it lies to the opposite side. He advised me to have a hysterectomy done immediately. I had cancer of the servix more than 10 years ago and according to this gynaecologist, the doctor should have done a hysterectomy as well at the time. Firstly i want to know if i have a hysterectomy(not removing my ovaries), will there be any side-effects and secondly should i go for a second opinion.(please recommend the best gynaecologist in JHB/PTA region)

See`reply to your previous posting.

1
Posted by: Jenna | 2004/11/30

As long as your ovaries remain intact, you will not go into a premature menopause. There is a risk that the operation could damage your bladder (but the risk is slight). It seems that the risks attached to retaining your uterus far outweigh the risks of having a hysterectomy.

Dr Jeremy Baker at Sandton Medi-Clinic (Tel No: 011 4634552) has a very good reputation.

Jenna

Reply to Jenna