Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2004/11/30

Hysterectomy - Urgent

After intensive bleeding for 2 weeks, i visited my GP, who sent me to a gynaecologist. He detected a large growth on my uterus, my uterus was enlarged and it lies to the wrong side according to the sonar. He advised me to have a hysterectomy done immediately. I had cancer of the servix more than 10 years ago and apparently he said that the doctor should have done a hysterectomy then. First of all i need to know whether there will be any side effects if i have a hysterectomy (leaving my ovaries) and secondly, i want to know whether you recommend that i go for a second opinion.(Please recommend the best gynaecologist in Johannesburg/Pretoria region)

Side effects of hysterectomy include the side effects of the operation - bleeding, infection,damage to adjacent structures, and longer term ones, such as earlier menopause and sometimes bladder problems. If you have a large growth, hysterectomy would be the treatment of choice.