Question
Posted by: Addie | 2007/02/18

Hysterectomy post-op care

I hear a lot of old wives tales. Could you please tell me what am I allowed to do after a total abdominal hysterectomy and what must I avoid. I would also like to know how long after the op will the vaginal draining stop. It stareted 7 ays post-op and according to the doctor it is due to the stitches that start to disolve.

You should not do activities like lifting, hanging washing, pushing heavy objects for 6 weeks. You should also not have intercourse for this period of time. Driving varies : some women are able to drive in 10-14 days, others need longer. The vaginal drainage is also variable but on average lasts about 10-14 days.