Posted by: yvonne | 2007/06/20


Help, I would like to have a hysterectomy. How do I know if a doctor will perform one on me. I have heavy bleeding on a period. Severe cramps, feels like a brick, bloated and total uncomfortable. The bleeding is usually for about 6 days long. I am 47 years old, divorced and have had a sterilisation at about 35. Should I have a hysterectomy or take tablets to stop the bleeding altogether. I do not think that I am in memopause yet, my health is otherwise good. Was on anti-depressants due to the divorce and my periods then stopped altogether - which was great!! I feel I could live a normal life without worrying about the next period - when, what and how much and how long. Please advise. I do have medical aid to cover costs.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

You need to see a doctor to determine the cuase for the heavy periods. Treatment will depend on the cause. Hysterectomy may not be the answer.
best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.