Question
Posted by: yvonne | 2007/06/20

Hysterectomy

Help, I would like to have a hysterectomy. How do I know if a doctor will perform one on me. I have heavy bleeding on a period. Severe cramps, feels like a brick, bloated and total uncomfortable. The bleeding is usually for about 6 days long. I am 47 years old, divorced and have had a sterilisation at about 35. Should I have a hysterectomy or take tablets to stop the bleeding altogether. I do not think that I am in memopause yet, my health is otherwise good. Was on anti-depressants due to the divorce and my periods then stopped altogether - which was great!! I feel I could live a normal life without worrying about the next period - when, what and how much and how long. Please advise. I do have medical aid to cover costs.

You need to see a doctor to determine the cuase for the heavy periods. Treatment will depend on the cause. Hysterectomy may not be the answer.
best wishes