Question

Hysterectomy

Doc,

What are the implications of having a hysterectomy at 24 years of age.

I know you won't advise it, but please advise on the implications.

Side effects are early menoopause, recurrent ovarian cysts, changes in sexual experience. The most important is the early menpause which 50% of women have after a hysterectomy, as you are still veryyoung.

1
Posted by: PIP | 2005/11/23

1. Although you think you may not want kids now, you may change your mind later, and then your only options are adoption or a surogate mother.
2. A full hystorectomy includes your ovaries - so you can develop bone problems due to your body not producing its own hormones any more.
3. Some woman after their hystorectomy have prolapses of the blader etc. and these can only be fixed with another operation

Unless life threatening medical reasons, I will not advice it

Reply to PIP