Question
Posted by: moony | 2005/11/19

Hysterectomy

I am 49 years old. For the past year I have been having a period every two weeks, but uterus has enlarged to a three month pregnancy and I have large fibroids which are causing me pain and burning everyday. I have been advised to have a hysterectomy. Is this my only option?

My doctor recommends removing the ovaries as well and inserting a subcutaneous hormone implant during the surgery.
Do I keep the ovaries?

Please help as I am booked for the surgery on the 28th and am very confused. I have already been for a second opinion and he told me exactly what the first doctor said.

Please see reply to your previous posting.