Posted by: nosipho | 2010/01/22

hypothyroidism and constipation

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 yrs ago and was put on eltroxin 0.1 mg a day. i was diagnosed after experiencing unexpIained weight gain, chronic eczema, constipation and always being tired. None of my symptoms went away and I started experiencing a very fast heart pulse(resting pulse 125bpm) after being on the treatment. I have blood tests every 4 months and my T4 and TSH levels were considered normal until recently. I went to a different GP, who increased my eltroxin dosage to 0.2 mg a day 2 months ago because she said my TSH was too high(TSH=37). I was tested for diabetes and cholesterol and the results were normal. Since being on the new dosage most of my symptoms went way. I feel happier, and have more energy. My new doctor also diagnosed me with tachycardia and gave me some medication to help with it (resting pulse is now 84). My problem now is that I' m severely constipated. I haven' t had a proper bowel movement in 3 weeks. I have tried a whole box of Movicol and a glycerine suppository with no results. My abdomen seems to be swollen and i appear as if I am pregnant even though I am not. I feel like I am carrying bricks. I do experience the urge to pass stool but when i try nothing happens. I am passing large amounts of very foul smelling gas. I have my 5 a day, activia yoghurt every morning and drink 2L of water. Could this be a result of my hypothyroidism and how do I solve it?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


It sounds like if your hypothyroidism was not well controlled until now. Your constipation could have other reasons. I suggest that you clear your constipation as soon as possible. Therefore, I recommend a colonic lavage or medication like two litres of Go-lightly over a twelve hour period. You can also change your diet to include more fibre and fluids, as well as more vegetables and fruit.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.