Question
Posted by: Eva | 2008/01/21

Hypothyroidism

Hi Doc,

Last year I went to my doctor, who did a thyriod test, and he told me that my thyriod is underactive and put me on Eltroxin. I took the eltroxin for about 2 months, but I started to feel tired and that I wanted to sleep all the time and I was eating more than usual. Is this normal, when taking eltroxin? I stopped taking the eltroxin (on my own) and I feel better. Should I go back on the eltroxin? Or could my doctor have misdignosed me? Should I go to another doctor and do another test?

Thank you.

Dear Eva
Maybe you should get a second opinion and a second test. Ask for a full thyroid function test instead of just TSH ( it is more expensive but gives a clearer picture). There may be another underlying reason for the tiredness like anemia.