Question
Posted by: Niens | 2004/11/14

hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid, and prescribed Eltroxin. After taking Eltroxin for 4 days, I spoke to health practitioner, who advised me to rather take the following:
L-Tyrosine
Revite Evening Primrose oil and Salmon oil (gel capsules)
Coleus Forskohlii
I have been taking the above, and stopped with the Eltroxin. I feel a whole lot better already and am glad I went the healthy way instead of the Eltroxin way.
Do I need anything else, or will the above be efficient?
I was told to take my temperature daily, but do not know how much it could/should be! I use a digital thermometre, and my temp is between 35 and 36.4 degrees. Is the digital quite accurate?

Expert ImageNatural health

Dear Niens

The fact that you are under the treatment of a health practitioner is good. Stick with it and refer to the practitioner re any questions.

You need to take your temp as you wake up in the morning, before getting up. Normal is 37.5 but at this time of the day before you are fully awake is what one calls your basal temperature and this indicates what is happening with the thyroid. The digital should be accurate.

I include an extract of an article written by Irma Schutte, a homeopath on the basal temp and the thyroid.

How important is iodine in the diet? Extremely! It must be remembered that many foods contain iodine – the richest sources would be fish and kelp. Traces of this vital nutrient is also found in garlic, watercress, radish, egg yolks, wheat germ, mushrooms and brewer’s yeast. Drinking water often carries traces of iodine depending on its source. There are also foods which inhibit the absorption of iodine, notably the cabbage family. They contain a substance called goitrogens and should be avoided by people suffering from an under-active thyroid.

A useful home test to determine whether your thyroid is functioning well is as follows. Take your basal temperature (your lowest body temperature measured before you get up or move around) by putting a thermometer in your armpit for 10 minutes. If your body temperature is higher than 38 º C, chances are your thyroid is over-active. If it is below 38 º C it could be under-active. Women should do this test on day 2 and 3 of their menstrual flow to get an accurate measurement.

Trust this will help you.

Kind regards.

Estie