Question
Posted by: Butterfly | 2005/07/20

Hypothyrodism, early menopause, IVF donor eggs

I was diagonosed with hyperactive thyroid, received radioactive iodine. I now have to take Eltroxin and the blood test for my thyroid show levels are normal.

After one year of TTC I visited Gynae. He put me on a low dose of clomid (25mg) for three month. First month showed follicles, but small the other two months showed no follicles. Then he put me on Femara for one month. I noticed that I got hot flushes and asked him if Menopause was a possibility. He tested and said that I was in early menopause (I'm 32). He said that the only way for me to conceive was through donor eggs and IVF. We did the process twice now and both times I was not pregnant.

Now I visited a homeopath and he told me that my Uterus will never be able to sustain a pregnancy due to the low LH levels. Is this so? I just want to know as each time we try IVF it costs about R 100 000.00 -> the nearest clinic is 1500km's away and although one cannot put a pricec on having a baby I still feel that I don't want to try something which doesn't have a chance to start off.

Thank you!

If you are close to menopause, this would tie in with what your homeopath says. It sounds like the chances are not good, but there are few absolutes in medicine.

2
Posted by: Sun | 2005/07/20

Hi Butterfly

Just had another thought, you can get a lot of answers on IVF Connections, I know alot of ladies are in a similar situation you are in and they could advise you. There are so many bulletin boards you are bound to find answers on 1 of them. I am just giving you how to get to the SA board but once you are there it is easy to roam around the boards.

Sun

It is nice because we are all doing IVF and can share thoughts and experiences. It costs nothing to register and is very easy even I can do it. If you are interested it is:

wwwdotivfconnectionsdotcom

Click on - IVFConnections Bulletin Boards
It will then ask you to register
Once registered it will take you onto the site
Click on - IVF
Click on - IVF by Location
Click on - IVF in South Africa

Reply to Sun
Posted by: Sun | 2005/07/20

Hi Butterfly

Not sure what clinic your are at but make sure you are at a good RE as your problem sounds complex.maybe IVF and DE is the only option for you but have they exhausted all the other options, have they tested your FSH, have they done a hystereoscope. I have heard of people being told this story so often and then when they change clinics and do different treatment options they conceive and go on to have babies.

Good Luck
Sun

Reply to Sun