Question
Posted by: tjoklits | 2004/10/15

Hypoglycaemic Diet Blues

I've recently been diagnosed as being borderline diabetic (with extreme high blood sugar levels). I am currently taking Yasmin & Glucophage as per doctors orders.

I know what food I should cut back on, but what can I eat? I am struggling with food for breakfast (bread, eggs, margerine and so on) and snack times (munchies!!).

What basic guidelines should I follow?

Dear Tjolits
I am sorry to hear that you have this problem. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission.

1
Posted by: Tom | 2004/10/16

According to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, February 7, 2002;346:393-403,

after 3 years of follow-up studies

patients in the lifestyle intervention group had a 58% lower risk of developing diabetes than the control group

Patients in the group given Glucophage had a 31% lower risk of developing diabetes.

In the long term, you will be better off if you change your diet, and exercise more. The Glucophage helps, but you'd do better to use the money you're spending on drugs to purchase better quality food and a gym contract.

The main thing that you need to do is cut out the grains and sugars in your diet. Get your carbohydrates mainly in the form of non-starchy vegetables. Determine your metabolic type and if you are a protein type, then eat mainly protein foods.

Read up on this by visiting www (dot) mercola.com

Reply to Tom