Question
Posted by: Annalize | 2004/12/03

Hypoglycaemic

Hi Doc,

I run in the mornings on an empty stomic every 2nd day for 40 - 50 min on 10 -11 on the treadmill and do weight training on the alternitive days with one days rest per week. I have read that one can become hypoglycaemic. What happens when one becomes hypoglycaemic. When does this happen? Do you think a am safe with my program?

Thanking you in advance.
Annalize

Hi Annalize

Becoming hypoglycaemia simply means that your blood sugar levels drop below the normal range. i won't go into the technical stuff, and what this involves, but remember that the blood sugar is very important because it is what supplies some of the energy to the exercising muscles. When it drops below a certain level (a level which seems to be quite different for a lot of people, some people can go really low, others not) of about 4 mM, then you start developing the symptoms of hypoglycaemia. These include light headedness, headaches, dizziness, weakness, feeling slightly cold, tunnel vision (you become less aware of what is going on around), and just general fatigue and weakness. It's like you want to exercise, but you just can't seem to find the strength to continue.

If you are doing this training and not experiencing these symptoms, then I seriously doubt that you are becoming hypoglycaemic. You would know about it by now. The one thing that you could possibly do is to just have something on hand, an Energade or some fruit, just in case, but I would not worry about it too much - becoming hypoglycaemic probably involves about an hour of exercise quite hard in someone who is not accustomed to this.
And it is really easy to fix if you are in the 'safe' environment of a gym where other people are around. Where it becomes risky is if you go out and run or cycle in the remote regions and you have no access to some sugar, because then if it happens you really have a problem in getting back to 'the real world' to seek some help.