Question
Posted by: Tracy | 2004/02/13

Hypoglycaemia/Low Blood Sugar

I posted a question to Natural Health regarding my condition of feeling lethargic, irritable, occassional Nausea, sweet cravings etc and they suggested I could be suffering from Low Blood sugar etc. I also get extremely tired in the afternoon, but as soon as I get home and get stuck into my evening routine, I'm wide awake again.

My diet is fairly healthy, I have fat free yog,wheat flakes,oats,apple and banana for breakfast.
Pkt pretzels for snack and a sugar free,caffeine free fizzy drink.
Lunch is usually 2 slices of rye bread with chicken and low fat mayo and tomatoe chutney with fruit or 2 slices wheat & rye bread with fish paste and couple slices cucumber plus fruit.
Dinner is chicken or fish(once a week) baked and 2-3 veg steamed and a carb.
I use alot of sweetner(canderal) in fact I pratically sweeten all my food as nothing is sweet enough for me.
I chew sugar free gum and drink artificially sweetened mix a drink through out the day.

Is my diet sufficient supposing I have low blood sugar and know I am definately hyperglycaemic as I have been diagnosed before. I also do 90 min of cardio excercises every day plus some toning/weight training.

I take spirulina, kelp,alfalfa,eve primrose and brewers yeast.

Expert ImageArchive

Your symptoms suggest that you are not eating sufficient protein to effectively deal with and repair your tissues from the exercise training that you are doing. 90 min of cardio plus toning/ weight training daily is a high performance zone of training and what you are eating will not support that indefinately. Your body is showing signs of depletion. Sweet cravings are also a sign of lack of protein, since it is an evolutionary response - sweet (real) foods are generally high in nutrients - up till 200years ago we had no refined sugar and sweets etc - the sweet foods we have today are artificial, so dont feel that the craving is linked to sugary sweetness.
I suggest that you increase your protein portion to at least 1/3 of the meal for each of the main meals, with the other 2/3 coming from vegetables and starch equally.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)