Question
Posted by: Cj | 2004/01/22

Hypoglycaemia feedback

Due to the fact that I have an extremely fast metabolism, I suffer from hypoglycaemia (and I am built like Twiggy - even after four children), but I find that by eating small quantities of REAL proper food, I can control my hypoglycaemia. My downfall, however, is that when I am stressed I don't eat. I love fresh cream, butter and olive oil, fresh vegetables and pasta. I am not a fan of processed foods (also due to the fact that I am hyperallergic), but because of this, people tend to think that I am sickly, which I am not. I just have a different lifestyle to theirs.

In fact, low blood sugar is just as dangerous as having high blood sugar.

Dear CJ
I agree that hypoglycaemia can be just as difficult to handle as hyperglycaemia. Eating small meals regularly is the answer, plus use of foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) and avoiding sugary foods and alcohol. If you are often stressed, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist to help you cope and to teach you stress-relieving techniques such as deep breathing and relaxation exercises. Yoga is also excellent to help you to relax. It is also important that you consciously decide to eat when stressed, otherwise you will feel even worse.