Question
Posted by: Hypnotise | 2005/12/13

Hypnotise

Thanks for the reply Doc. My Doc never said he or she would hypnotise me, didn't even suggest it. A friend of mine went to a qualified hypnotist to overcome a fear of driving and it seemed to work as she is driving happily now after 20 years of fear.

Are you saying that all hypnotists are not qualified? What if they are registered? I understand that some medical aids pay for it and some don't.

To the person so sensitive to CAPS - you need to see someone and soon. Get a life please, some of us have real issues.

Any medical aid that pays for hypnosis is extremely foolish and wasting people's money. I consider anyone who is simply a hypnotist, or calling themselves a Hypnotherapist, to be a likely quack, as they could not possibly, without full training and qualifications in psychiatriy or psychology, be capable of properly diagnosing any relevant psych problems, or considering alternative treatments, or handling any possible complications. There is no proper register of hypnotists, and no recognized proper academic qualification. There are dozens of "qualifications" hypnotists give each other, from various clubs and societies of hyupnotists, but they're not worth much. Memorably, a colleague in the USA managed to get his pet cat fully registered and with certificates of qualification as a hypnotherapist.
Your friend would have been at least as successfully treated by any competent shrink with behaviour therapy, and it is likely that this particular hypnotist in fact used some variation of behaviour therapy, to produce the benefits you describe.
People who seek hypnosis are generally seeking magic --- a rapid cure of their problem involving no work on their part. That's not wholesome. And too many "hypnotherapists" make wild claims of their amazing successes, which have never been supported by proper research. That's why I am deeply sceptical about it.
Finally, I always strongly recommend against seeing ANY healer / therapist, whatever who has just one single method up his sleeve, so that you have to fit his treatment, rather than someone competent in using a variety of remedies, so that the treatment can be matched to you and your needs, your strengths and weaknesses.