Question
Posted by: ally | 2007/08/15

hypnotherapy works!

Dear CS

I recently underwent surgery, and received hypnotherapy in preparation for the procedure. I've noticed in previous postings that you don't have much regard for hypnotherapy. I'd just like to note that, compared with previous operatic procedures such as the removal of my tonsils and wisdom teeth, I coped much better with every aspect of this procedure than is usual:
* I'm usually very nervous and I get cold shivers before receiving anaesthetics. My veins are usually very difficult to find and I always needed pre-med to help me relax. This time around, I was completely relaxed from the time I was admitted to the hospital. I became sleepy and did not need pre-med to help me relax. I felt warm and relaxed on the way to the theatre. The anaesthetist had no trouble injecting a needle, and I 'dozed off' immediately.
* Usually I take about half an hour to wake up after an operation, feeling very emotional and confused, shouting and crying. This time, I woke up in the recovery room, completely calm and feeling wide awake and energetic. I did not experience any pain or discomfort.
I was very relaxed and comfortable during my recovery period and can attribute this only to the mental and subconscious preparation I received from hypnosis.

Hypnotherapy used as PART of a general therapeutic plan, in this case as PART of an anaesthetic, in this case to ease the use of proper anaesthetics, as a foprm of pre-med, can, I agree, be usedful, when provided by a properly trained health practitioner working within a therapeutic team. It unquestionably does help a person rlax and can aid analgesia. This is significantly different from the many other conditions in which miracles are promised and expected, and untrained "therapists" who have no proper health science qualifications, are used.
And of course the fish had to jump in. Does this H guy have nothing else to do in his life than haunt this site praying for a message about hypnosis, so he can jump in and prey ?

2
Posted by: AFTO | 2007/08/16

If it looks like fish, smells like fish and talks like fish, then surely.....

Reply to AFTO
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2007/08/15

Hi Ally

Thank you for your comments.

The efficacy of hypnosis with persons who have a reasonable hypnotic talent (that would be about 60 - 80% of the normal population), in situations such as this is very well documented. It has been repeatedly shown that hypnosis can be used to facilitate hypnoanaesthesia or hypnoanalgesia, that hypnotically facilitated relaxation can reduce the amount of chemical anaesthetic required during a surgical procedure (thus reducing the after-effects of the anaesthetic), reducing post-operative pain, as well as facilitating post-operative recovery.

The question which, of course, must arise, is "if hypnosis can achieve this in a surgical situation - which, after all, appears on the surface to be purely physical - what can be acheived using this modality in other spheres?"

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych