Question
Posted by: Amor | 2008/05/29

Hypnotherapy -effective to stop smoking?

on 27 May I posted this question to the CyberDoc, but unable to verify.

I have tried to quit smoking twice now. The previous time was on Quit Spray, which did not do the trick. The first time was on Zyban, which worked a lot better, since it strengthened my weakening will power somewhat.

I desperately want to stop smoking, but eventually my will power breaks under the cravings - I don't want to put myself through this particular type of failure again... Can "stop smoking" hypnosis be an effective way assist in the battle? I have been under hypnosis once before for an unrelated matter, which was very successful, so I am familiar with the experience and was very susceptible to being put under.

If this is an effective treatment, where can I find a credible and capable person to administer this or do I just pull the nearest classifieds closer?

Zyban is very effective, but no such product should be used entirely on its own --- use it again, but along with a proper counsellor to help you recognize and deal better with the various triggers that push you towards smoking, Hypnosis is NOT the treatment of choice for stopping smoking, even if you are a good hypnotic subject. As anyone is allowed to call themselves a hypnotist or hypnotherapist, as there are no registrable qualifications for this, there's no easy way to find a competent one --- but one rule is handy NEVER EVER go to any sort of hypnotist who is not a fully trained, qualified and registered mental health professional ( a psychiatrist or psychologist ). You dont want to hire a carpenter with only one single tool in his workbox. A shrink could prescribe Zyban, provide counselling and support, AND add some hypnosis if this seemed likely to help, after an assessment by someone unbiased rather than devoted to finding customers for their one method

2
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2008/05/30

Hi Amor

I'm afraid that CS's absolute hypnophobia & apparent total lack of common sense is breathtaking. His statement that "Hypnosis is NOT the treatment of choice for stopping smoking, even if you are a good hypnotic subject" beggars belief!

Smoking cessation is one of the areas in which even he ought admit that there is substantial research to support the use of hypnosis. If you have previously found hypnosis to be useful, good old plain common sense will tell you that it is quite likely that it can be of use again in this regard.

The one area where I absolutely agree with CS is that you should avoid any so-called "hypnotherapist" who is not also a properly qualified & registered medical professional. There are unfortunately hordes of so-called "master hypnotherapists" out there who have at best a rudimentary training in hypnosis, and no training whatsoever in psychotherapy, psychopathology or psychodiagnostics. They are also not registered with any licensing body (such as the Health Professions Council of SA), which means that if they mess up or act unprofessionally or negligently, you have no avenue of complaint. You can contact the SA Society of Clinical Hypnosis for a referral to a properly qualified psychologist of doctor who can help in this regard.

Jcat's suggestion of acupuncture is also an excellent one - I find that hypnosis & acupuncture augment each other very well. There are also two homoeopathic complexes produced by Natura (Smokeless-Plus & Anti-Tobacco) that I also find to be useful in combination with hypnosis & acupuncture)

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych
Posted by: jcat | 2008/05/29

Don't know about hypnosis, but I can tell you that acupuncture works! Am on my last week of only two smokes a day, down from about 50 plus, after 28 years of smoking.
I'm really impressed, cos I never thought I'd manage it. Although I have to admit, I am sooooo short-tempered this week!

Mail me on jcat456 at gmail if you are in JHB, and can give you more info

Reply to jcat