Question
Posted by: Zabby | 2005/12/06

hypnotherapy

Does hypnotherapy work. My life is regressing (career wise) I am not confident to pursue the career I like because I am scared of failure. I have been told that hypnotherapy can help me gain confidence. Is there a hypnotist that you can recommend around Dbn???

I wonder who is spreading lies about how marvelloius hypnotherapy is ? How many times do I have to say it ? For almost every problem known to man, hypnotherapy does NOT work, and "hypnotherapists" who don't have full psychiatric or clinical psychological training are usually quacks, making false claims without proper evidence that their beloved method works or is safe. NEVER trust someone who has only one method of therapy to offer, and forces you to fit his method, rather than the other way round. Any "hypnotist" who claimed to be able to do what you are looking for would have to be a quack, and couldn't possibly be recommended. CBT style counselling could surely help you --- and we know that from research and experience, not the claims of someone keen to sell something.
jane --- I don't believe that either of the occasions when you felt better, were due to hypnosis. Most women feel rocky after childbirth, and then they pick up and feel better --- if you saw a hypnotist just bbefore you would have improved anyway, you would give him the credit he did not deserve. I sincerely wish the Dept of health would totally ban the use of hypnosis by anyone other than a fully trained and qualified shrink, or for ever being used as a single mode of therapy.
Hypnotists most successful trick is to take cedit for improvements you managed to make for yourself, and to use your enormously increased suggestibility during hypnosis, to make you feel grateful

4
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/12/06

Don;t knock something you know nothing about. Hypnosis is great, helped me stop smoking and helped me to handle my anxiety attacks.
Many modern psychiatrists make use of it nowadays.
If you conteplate using it, make sure you have a legitimate hypnotist.

Reply to waterblom
Posted by: jane | 2005/12/06

I had hynotherapy with the birth of my second child 15 yrs ago - it was great - better than any drug. I felt nothing. I also gave up smoking 12 months ago with hypnotherapy - 2 sessions only for R200 - much cheaper than Zyban.

Reply to jane
Posted by: Boo | 2005/12/06

I agree with Jade, Hipnose is sommer 'n bol snot. Mors net jou geld.

Reply to Boo
Posted by: Jade | 2005/12/06

I wouldn't even consider hypnotheraphy and neither should you !!!
Its all a load of hogwash & you should be very careful of what they do to you.
Rather go seek some councelling especially of the CBT format.
I'm sure you will find this of great help and will boost your confidence!!!! Forget about the idea of hypnotheraphy.

Reply to Jade