Question
Posted by: dd | 2004/10/21

hypertrophic scars treatment

Please can you advise me on treatment on a hypertrophic scar. It's more than 2yrs old. I've had 5 cortizone injections which has helped flatten it. I've tried Mederma cream, tissue oil, scar reduction plasters to decrease the pinky colouring. A plastic surgeon was willing to cut it and sew it up neatly but that can't garuantee it will look better.
I've now been using Hydroquinone cream prescribed by a dermatologist for 8 weeks with only a slight difference.
What else can I do? Should I get sunlight on it or will that darken the colour?

Dd, sunlight will probably worsen the problem. You can have radiation treatment, but it often leaves a big flat scar. The best would probably be to let the plastic surgeon take a shot at it. Good luck.