Question
Posted by: ReneKabeel | 2007/06/19

Hyperthyroidism

Dear Doc,

I am 29 and female. When i was 19 i was diagnosed with a "Goiter" because of my extremly over active thyroid gland. The docter removed most of it and for a few years after the surgery i was feeling fine. Now at 29 it is stARTING all over again. My TSH level is 0.05 and my FT3 level is 27.63
I am experiencing all the same symptoms as before, increased heart rate(120+) on a daily basis, trembling hands, muscle weakness, weight loss, insomnia, lack of breath, hair loss, eyes are being affected and this is just to name a few.
I am having a very hard time at the moment and it's affecting my work. The doctor gave me beta blockers to control my heart rate, but i'm suffering the side effects of the increased dose. He made the suggestion of giving me radioactive iodine or surgery, but i dont know which will be the best choice. Before my surgery last time several doctors warned me about the radio active treatment. I am newly married and have no kids. I am currently working in Kuwait where the doctors and medicine aren't that good.
I would appriate some advice regarding this maater as my condition is getting worse and i need to make a descision asap.

Thank you so much.

Rene

Dear Rene
I am not a surgeon but as far as I know surgery would be considered when
You have a large goiters putting pressure on surrounding tissue
You think there is a Malignancy or a specific nodule that needs removal
When other forms of therapy are not practical or ineffective

These days they give you radioactive iodene which only concentrates in the thyroid and it is the treatment of choice in people with Graves disease or if anti-thyroid medication does not work. It may be better if you can see an endocrinologist if at all possible.