Question
Posted by: stormtrooper of death | 2004/10/22

hyperthyroidism

21 year old white male.
A while ago I went to some guy who owns a nutrition shop. He also is a qualified GP and iridologist.They checked my blood pressure and it was fine but my heart rate was at 120!!
Then he looked at my eyes to see what was wrong and he said that I have a toxic thyroid. He said that I battle to put on weight and that I can't concentrate on one thing at a time and my body is in hyper mode because of my thyroid. I said to him that I have epilepsy and he said that that is expected because my brain is firing off faster than usual and everything in my body is speeded up. All the processes in my body are speeded up.

My problem is that I can't seem to put on weight. I lifted weights for like 3 years and had a great program and I could lift really heavier than the bigger guys. I put on a bit of muscle but I mostly burnt fat more than anything else. I ate tons of food and still do. Sometimes I eat food and I can't stop, it's like I never feel full. I'm 6foot 4 if that helps. I go have to pooh so often and this might be because of the increased metabolism due to my thyroid? I'm the skinniest guy around yet I am the fittest and used to work so hard in the gym. I find that I can never sit still and focus on one thing, I either tap away or I just get all nervous. I also suffer from anxiety. These days I have tried to start exercising again after a car accident but I am exhausted between sets and feel too tired to finish and am quite tired throughout the day.
I seem to have all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism including increased perspiration and loathing of heat, yet my proper GP (another one) did a blood test to check thyroid levels and said things were fine.
Are blood tests the only way to check if my thyroid is okay?
Is it possible that I'm fine and that I just have a fast metabolism? If this is so, why is my heart rate so fast and that iridologist said my thyroid is toxic?
I'm dying to put on weight but if I have hyperthyroidism it sounds like I'll never put on weight.
Thanks for your help.

SoD, the best would be to see a specialist physician because I have to agree with GP no. 1 – it sounds like you have a thyroid or at least some sort of hormone disorder. Good luck.