Question
Posted by: Zenia | 2005/07/08

Hypertension, PCOS and Triphasil ??

I went to the clinic today to get my Triphasil and when I told the sister that I have hypertension, she said that I should not be on Triphasil then. I've been on Triphasil since 1995 but was diagnosed with hypertension last year and put on 50mg Captoretic. The problem is that my GP specifically said that I can only be on Triphasil due to my PCOS. The sister says I should be on a mini-pill or the injection and that Triphasil can worsen my hypertension. I have an appointment with a gynae, but only in September. What should I do in the meanwhile?

Hypertension is a contraindication to the oral contraceptive. TYou could consult your gynaecologist earlier or use the mini-pill in the meantime.