Question
Posted by: Tash | 2006/07/31

HYPERTENSION

Dear Doc

I went to Trauma on Saturday on arrival my bp was 263/152 can this be possible? The doctor prescribed adelat and ativan and they let me leave please help this is extremely worrying.

Dear Tash
Yes it is possible but I agree, I would also be very worried as you have a very high risk of getting a stroke, walking around with such a high BP. Please make an appointment with your doctor - you need a 24 hour bloodpressure monitor test ( they put a small machine on you that you walk around with for 24 hours that record the bloodpressure all the time) and you probably need longterm medication as well as blood tests and X/rays of the lungs and heart.