Question
Posted by: Josi | 2007/07/16

HYPERPHAGIA - OVEREATING

Hello. I am always hungry. While I am eating one meal I am already thinking of the next meal. I don't feel full and just carry on eating just after big meals. I have read a few articles about compulsive overeating and how it has something to do with over-active neurons in certain sections of the brain. What I would like to know is whather there is a solution. I am visibly gaining weight daily and not feeling at all well. I need to find a solution. Dieting and appetite suppressants don't work. PLEASE HELP !

Dear Josi
First see a dietician - you may be food allergic and crave the foods you are allergic to, or you may be eating high GI foods that stimulate insulin and makes you feel hungry all the time. High cortisone levels can also stimulate eating so a visit to the GP for a general medical check up may also be a good idea.
One should first exclude physical causes before going to psychological causes.