Question
Posted by: Kath | 2004/10/07

Hyperactive Thyroid and weight gain

I have been diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid and have been on medication for 5 months, during the 5 months I have picked up 10kgs (I am now 76kgs) while eating far far less then before I was being treated. I wanted to ask if you can recommend any supplements or diet changes. I currently eat 3 meals per day, cereal and fruit for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and whatever's going for dinner (pizza, pasta, steak, chicken, salad etc). I am going to be on the medication for another 2 years and I'm really worried about how much more weight I am going to gain.

Dear Kath
Your diet does not seem excessive, so I am sure that this change in weight is due to the medication. Please discuss this with the treating dr as he/she may be able to suggest changes to the dose, alternative treatment, etc, so prevent this unfortunate side-effect. You can try combining a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) with regular exercise to keep your weight in check and/or reduce it.

1
Posted by: kath | 2004/10/13

Thank you. I started a food combining diet (fit for life) a week ago and have lost 2 kg's and so far feeling good.

Reply to kath