Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2004/01/16

Hyperactive thyroid

Dear DietDoc,

I was diagnosed with a very hyperactive thyroid. The docter prescribed Neo-Mercazole and Pur-Bloka and told me to avoid foods that contain Iodine eg fish and shellfish. What about table salt and my multi vitamins? What else should I avoid and are there special foods that I should eat? I am a 35 year old woman. I lost 15 Kg since October and currentlyy weigh 74kg.

Dear Maggie
Yes, all the table salt in SA is iodated, so you need to ask your chemist for non-iodated salt. If your multivitamins state on the label that they contain iodine, then you need to ask the chemist to help you find equivalents which are iodine-free. At present you need to increase your energy intake by eating more at each meal and if you still don't pick up any weight, then try using a meal supplement such as Ensure or Nutren (ask the chemist to help you check if these meal replacements contain iodine or not) to boost your energy intake.