Question
Posted by: Greg | 2007/04/04

Hyper then Hypo Thyroidism

At age 18, I was told I had hyperactive thyroid, was on Neumercozole for 5 years and then had partial thyroidectomy. Next TFT's were normal and I checked pulse rate periodically. At age 46, I was told I suffered from Carpal Tunnel and had bilateral ops - 3 weeks off work in 2005. At age 47, after family trauma and car accident, had a dpressive incident and told I suddenly had high BP, tachycardia, and bordeing on almost coma lack of thyroxin. Angiogram recommended but only after they could sort out thyroxin - 2 weeks off work in 2006. Last saw doctor about 4 months ago, and next visit in 2, but the symptoms - tired/fatigue/lerthargy of befor thyroxin treatment, which I still take, is reappearing, and I lost about 8 kgs of weight over 10 weeks immediately after thyroid therapy started. I have regained all as well as started snoring again. Afraid that Doctor will book me off again for a couple of weeks as boss is still sceptical about the last 2 years incidents. What to do or is it mental?

Unfortunately, some of the methods of treatment for an over-active thyroid, both surgical and drug-based, can also then produce an under-active thyroid. Carpal Tunnel syndrome associated with low thyroid states, I have indeed seen. But this matter is so medically complex you need to discuss it with your physycian --- it's not mental, but these physical conditions can cause or aggravate mental problems

3
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/04

Hey I am no expert and what I know about the thyroid glad is more than scarey -- but if there is excessive snoring there is a real problem. I think you should see about going to a sleep clinic.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Greg | 2007/04/04

I did wake due to snoring however this stopped after commencing thryroxin meds 7 months ago, it is now recurring.

Reply to Greg
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/04

Ever considerd you might have sleep apneoa? Are you more tired when you get up than when you go to sleep? Do you snore so badly that you sometimes even wake yourself up (not from the noise)

Sounds like you should speak to a PHYSICIAN not a GP about this. What is your neck size?

Reply to RMC