Question
Posted by: Luisa | 2005/07/26

hymenotomy vs hymenectomy

Hello
I would like to know what the surgical procedure is for a hymenotomy and hymenectomy. What is the difference and are both office procedure using local anethetic ?
Thank You
Luisa

Hymenectomy is the more common procedure for an imperforate hymen. This is usually done under general or spinal anaesthetic.

2
Posted by: Luisa | 2005/07/27

I have look on the web. Hymenotomy is described as a simple incision. Therefore is a general or local anethetic used.
Hymenectomy seems more complicated where the whole hymen is removed, is a general or local anethetic used?

Reply to Luisa
Posted by: Jean | 2005/07/26

I don't know, as I have no personal experience.

If you do a search on Google for:

"hymenotomy and hymenectomy"

you get LOTS of website with info.

Good luck!

Reply to Jean