Posted by: I.M.M. | 2009/04/29

husbands tummy

My husband is 67 and has developed afat tummy. This is where he carries all his weight. please help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear I.M.M.
Abdominal obesity is indeed a problem which can have a negative effect on health. If your husband is overweight then I would recommend an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). It also helps to one's energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min a day, but because of his age, I would advise that your hubby should first have a medical checkup before he starts to exercise. If the dr gives him a clean bill of health and says that he can do exercise, then he should start very gradually with going for a walk every day. As he loses weight and gets fitter, he can increase how fast and far he walks. In addition to the general aerobic exercises like walking, your hubby should also do targeted exercises like sit-ups which help to tighten the tummy. Ask Fitness Doc on this Website for a set of exercises that target the tummy.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.