Posted by: Faith | 2008/10/14

Husband' s semen problem

Hello, my husband has had clinical findings in June 2006 included the presence of a left varicocoele with slight left testicular atrophy  tender left spermatic cord: slight suprapubic discomfort: prostate tenderness on left hand side. Urine was normal but a semen analysis detected an Enterococcus faecalis infection and presence of pus cells.

He was treated at that time with Levoflaxin for 2 moths and Tamsulosin. He noticed an improvement in his symptoms. Six months after the treatment his semen was again analysed. The same bacterium was cultured. The urologist decided to put him on twice weekly Ciprofloxacin. My husband has been on this medication ever since and with control of his symptoms.

My concern is whether the varicocoele and enterococcus faecalis infection will cause my husband to become infertile? How can he get it treated so that we can start a family? I am desperate! Please give us some guidance.

Thank you so much.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Faith

Both the presence of a varicocele and/or presence of persistent infection in the semen would contribute to affecting fertility. What you need to find out if any of these has affected the parameters that are important to allow for fertilization to take place namely, is the sperm volume and concentration normal, are the sperms motility normal and is the morphology normal. If the semen analysis is normal and conception is still not taking place then I would suggest that you look for other causes in the female such as fallopian tube problems, endometriosis or ovulatory problems. If there are no female factors and there is a problem with your husband’s semen analysis then you will require assisted reproductive techniques such as intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization to help achieve a pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.