Question
Posted by: WIFE | 2007/05/31

Husband's bad breath

Doc, obviously this is a very sensitive thing. My husband has very bad breath and a very bad temper. Everyone has been to the dentist this year but him, cause he's stuggeling to pay the R14000.00 account. What can I do to "tell" him about the bad breath problem without him BLOWING up in my face. How do I go about to be "sensitive" to his feelings. I know most people would say just tell him!!! But it doesn't help cause he says he doesn't have money for the dentist.

Good grief, that bill must cover an awful lot of dental work ! And in mos cases of bad breath he could achieve a great deal by simply hygiene, brishing regularly and using mouth-wash --- couldn't you persuade him to do that ?

7
Posted by: logical | 2007/05/31

Maybe he eats s h i t .... to much of yours maybe ... metaphorically ofcourse

Reply to logical
Posted by: WIFE | 2007/05/31

LOL Thanks John, that was precious!!! I'll see what I can do, the sentence: "There is no nice way to say this, but, your breath smells bad" is what I was looking for. That is nice and sensitive!!

Reply to WIFE
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/31

John, your stories ALWAYS make my day!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: John | 2007/05/31

Wife

There are two issues here; one is the bad breath and the other is the matter of telling him without making his mood as fouls as, well, you know what I mean.

Here is a suggested dialogue:

"Husband, would you like a cup of tea?" (Yeah, obvious I know but still cunning, right?)
"Okay, if you want you can make me a cup...but don't make it so weak like you always do". Husband scowls at the dental bill and thinks "F ok, it would have been cheaper to pull all those teeth out instead of fixing it. At least I didn't make this bladdy bill so high".

Wife makes the tea and sits down, giving Husband a minute to taste the tea.

"Why you sitting? You want praise for making me tea?"

Wife winces but manages to control her expression as the foul breath reaches her. Its worse when flavoured by Joko. "I must try 5 roses again," she thinks, "The smell wasn't so bad".

Wife clears her throat, detects rather lumpy leftovers from PND and swallows, wincing again at the salty taste.

"You know, Husband, I want to tell you something but Im scared you will get cross. And a wife should never be scared to talk to her husband."

Husband frowns.

"Not another f okken visit to the dentist again?" Husband growls and thinks that the she made today tea is better than that 5 Roses rubbish.

"No, not that," Wife frowns, thinking that this was not going well, "I want you to know that I love you and that I want everyone to like you and think well of you." Wife sees Husband is holding his breath, and appreciates the the small opportunity to breathe deeply.

"Well, what is it?" Husband is now looking worried, the dental bill forgotten.

"There is no nice way to say this, but, your breath doesn't smell fresh." Wife holds her breath, which is ironic since Husband does not benefit from this.

"What do you mean?" Husband was trying to talk without breathing, which is impossible, unless you are miming like Britney Spears and not making a sound.

"I mean your breath does not smell nice." Wife was relieved to see that he was not blowing up.

Husband cupped his hand over his mouth and breathed into and breathed the air back. His head snapped back as if he had received another dentists bill. He spluttered and coughed.

"F ok, that smells bad..." His voice trailed off, wondering why his mouth smelled like COSATU had held a victory party in there after getting their members a 12% increase.

"I hope I didn't embarrass you but I felt, as your wife, I had to tell you."

Husband turned his head away and spoke softly.. "No, its alright, I'm glad you told me. What can we do about it?"

And its a simple as that. Husband, Wife, will be glad.

Reply to John
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/31

you sure it is not an underlying sign of a health issue like diabetes that is untreated?

Reply to RMC
Posted by: lady nina | 2007/05/31

hi girl

i'm reading a very intersting book at the moment
basically it says that 99% of physical problems is a result of
and emotional issue

they say bad breath is a result of very negative and distractive "self talk " and an intense self hate the person has for himself...

i don't know if this is true but a lot of the stuff in my life is very true and i'm working on getting it sorted - it's not an instant solution but a lifestyle change you have to do

take care

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/31

What makes you think going to the dentist will solve this problem? I'm not sure what you call it in english, but give him a clove (in afrikaans 'n "naeltjie") to swollow, sometimes it comes from a person's stomach and that helps for it, and buy some Listirene for after the brushing.

Reply to Echelle