Question
Posted by: Liezl | 2004/10/26

Husband - Type 1 diabetic and trying to conceive

Dear Doc
My husband has been a Type 1 diabetic for 4 years and is insulin dependent. I'm trying to conceive and was wondering if him being diabetic will have an effect how long it will take me to fall pregnant and if he might have a low sperm count because of that.

As FF says, it is usually erection and ejaculation that is affected by diabetes, not sperm count.

2
Posted by: Liezl | 2004/10/27

Dear FF

Thank you for your reply. My husband's average blood glucose readings is between 7 and 9 and he has never had his sperm tested.

Reply to Liezl
Posted by: FF | 2004/10/26

Hi Liezl

I don't know of any link to male fertility and diabetes. I know that if left uncontrolled diabetes could affect blood flow to the genital area, and cause impotence, but I don't think that it affects sperm count/motility in any way.

I am also a type 2 diabetic, and have had tests done on my sperm by the fertility docs and they assured me that everything was in the normal ranges.

What sort of blood glucose readings does your husband have ?

Has his sperm been tested at all ?

Cheers

Reply to FF