Posted by: Nelly | 2009/10/01

husband refusing divorce


I need to know what happens if my husband refuses to divorce. He had countless affairs and I can' t take it anymore. I am a housewife and don' t have the means to pay for an expensive divorce. If I have to sue him for divorce, must I pay or must he pay? I tried everything but he is so stubborn and doesn' t want to let go peacefully.

Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Nelly,

I am not sure about the legal implications but in opposing the divorce you will still be able to divorce him, it's going to take more time.

Why does he not want to divorce. He doesn't seem to be committed to the marriage, what is his interest in keeping this going?

Do you have children?


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Thabo | 2009/10/05

My wife and I have been seperated for the past year 5 months now. She is having an affair with one of her collegues, a married man. I don' t know she is staying and the company bosses are refusing to give us any information. I don' t know where to serve divorce papers.

Reply to Thabo
Posted by: Candy | 2009/10/04

My husband packed his bags and left me. We are still on speaking terms and I try not to be nasty to him.We have NOT considered divorse.

The problem is that he has left me with a pile of bills which I cannot afford to pay on my salary. He promised to help, but this never happens. I dont know where I stand with him as he doesnt talk about coming back. Can I sue him for desertion? Can the court force him to pay at least half of the bills? We are married ANC.

There was a time last year when he was unemployed. I supported him for almost 3 months. I am still trying to recover from some of the debt that was incurred when he was not working. I would appreciate all the advise you can give me please.

Thank you

Reply to Candy

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.