Posted by: Mikky | 2008/01/08

HUSBAND - Lump in Armpit

Dear Dr. About six months ago, my husband developed a small lump in his armpit,looked like an ingrown hair.We left it,and nothing happened until now.Yesterday it became larger like the size of my ring-finger nail,and painful,it had a head and looked a little like a blood blister.Lastnight I helped him 'pop' it to release pressure.Blood and puss came out,so I thought it was just an abscess.But I noticed in the wound a little piece of protruding tissue,like a large pin-head of tissue which was inside the abscess,it was not loose,it is attached.What should we do?Is this concerning?Im so worried,please help.Thank you!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hallo Mikky
this is called a sebaceous cyst and the piece of tissue you saw is part of the shell of the cyst - it is best to have this removed by your doctor otherwise the cyst may re-occur.
dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Simba | 2008/01/08

sabaceous cyst.

Reply to Simba
Posted by: nn | 2008/01/08

sounds like the hair folicle

Reply to nn

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.