Question
Posted by: Mikky | 2008/01/08

HUSBAND - Lump in Armpit

Dear Dr. About six months ago, my husband developed a small lump in his armpit,looked like an ingrown hair.We left it,and nothing happened until now.Yesterday it became larger like the size of my ring-finger nail,and painful,it had a head and looked a little like a blood blister.Lastnight I helped him 'pop' it to release pressure.Blood and puss came out,so I thought it was just an abscess.But I noticed in the wound a little piece of protruding tissue,like a large pin-head of tissue which was inside the abscess,it was not loose,it is attached.What should we do?Is this concerning?Im so worried,please help.Thank you!

Hallo Mikky
this is called a sebaceous cyst and the piece of tissue you saw is part of the shell of the cyst - it is best to have this removed by your doctor otherwise the cyst may re-occur.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Simba | 2008/01/08

sabaceous cyst.

Reply to Simba
Posted by: nn | 2008/01/08

sounds like the hair folicle

Reply to nn