Posted by: shito | 2005/11/21

husband is hiv- is it possible i could be positive

hi i have been married for 7 years and during that time we have had both protected and unprotected sex. mainly unprotected though. my husband has just had his 3rd test which came out negative and i took two instant test which were also negative. i however am scared the test could have been wrong as i seem to have many hiv symptoms eg, fatigue, skin rash, brittle nails, and thinning hair on the back of my head, i am scare to go for a proper elisa test but i know i have to. what i want to know is can my husband be negative and i be positive?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Hi Shito!

Yes, it is possible for one partner to be positive and the other negative. Please do gather your courage and do a proper test.

Do note that the symptoms you mention could also be signs of other conditions, e.g. malnutrition or vitamin defficiencies. Make sure of your status and then start tackling the symptoms accordingly.

Good luck!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Rasputin | 2005/11/26

I it possible that you both may be positive and in the window period.Do go (both) and have a proper blood lab test done.Henceforth indulge only in protected coitus.

Reply to Rasputin
Posted by: Pepper | 2005/11/22

Hi there Guys
This does happen, my husband and I have been together for 5 years and have had unprotected sex almost 100% of the time. We found out not so long ago that he is positive, I plucked up the courage to had the rapid test done and im negative. But need to be tested again in january.
We have had our medical aid cancelled at work (problems between our employer and the medical company) and it is going to take some time before we are on a new one again. Would just would like to find out where my husband and I can be tested again, have a CD4 count and get councelling at a reasonable rate. If we go privately just to be tested, it is going to cost us over R1000 which we dont have. We stay in Uitenhage, Eastern cape, near Port Elizabeth. Please dont tell us to go to the Provincial hospital... it is an absolute joke here!
We do not know any 'white' people or anyone for that fact who are hiv+ here and do not know who we can turn to for help.
If someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated

Reply to Pepper
Posted by: JoePublic! | 2005/11/21

Yes, it is quite possible. These are called discordent couples. I am HIV negative and my wife is HIV positive-how it happens I do not know. In addition, there are quite a few cases of discordent couples. I'm afraid the only way to know is to go and do a proper Elisa test. The sooner you know the better to prevent the chances of re-infection. Good luck.

Reply to JoePublic!

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.