Question
Posted by: Lost | 2007/05/25

Husband-Alcoholic?

What now? My husband is 60, totally deaf and house-bound. I have to work - teacher. He would start drinking at tenish - thirtsty- nothing else and when I come home he expects me to sit and drink with him(OK 2 beers). I, too, drank much then than now,I have had dry spells, but then he drinks even more. I calculate the monthly expenditure, but of no avail. He is in the obese category and thinks that is fine. He sits most of the day, potters outside, watches tv and is not interested in reading ( actually very lazy). Somehow he has lost interest in personal hygiene as well. He reminds me of trivial things which MUST be attended to NOW can be very demanding. What now? Please advise.

This may become problem drinking, but dosn't really sound like alcoholism so far. YOu don't mention whether he used to work, and if so, for how long he has been retired ; or whether he also had other hobbies and occupations he has apparently abandoned. It sounds as though he may be mildly depressed, and as though he has largely given up on life, doing very little, and finding his alcohol to be his only interest and solace. Is there any way to get him to regain interest in other activities --- a club of other older folks, working with a charity, hobbies of any sort --- anything to occupy his largely unused mind ?

1
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/25

YIkes. Have you also had him tested for diabetes? Has he ever worked anywhere?

Reply to RMC