Question
Posted by: Melz | 2007/04/13

Hurts to sneeze sometimes - Normal?

Every now and then I get a slight pain in the lower tummy when I sneeze. Now i'm scared to sneeze. Is there something wrong - why does it happen.

Expert ImageForumArchive

It is very normal. Most likely it's just your muscles aching from all the streching and growing and the sneeze is just pulling it hard for a second. No need to worry.

Health Admin

4
Posted by: Melz | 2007/04/13

Thanks guys - you give the best advice!

Reply to Melz
Posted by: Egg | 2007/04/13

My doc said it's normal. He called it round ligament pain... this is what I found on the net.

Round ligament pain is generally a brief, sharp, stabbing pain or a longer-lasting, dull ache that you may feel on one or both sides of your lower abdomen or deep in your groin, usually starting in your second trimester. It happens when the ligaments that support your uterus in your pelvis stretch and thicken to accommodate and support its growing size.

You may feel a short jabbing sensation if you suddenly change position, such as when you're getting out of bed or up from a chair or when you cough, roll over in bed, or get out of the bathtub. Or you may feel a dull ache after a particularly active day, if you've been walking a lot or doing some other physical activity. Call your caregiver if this discomfort continues even after you've rested.

Reply to Egg
Posted by: Tam | 2007/04/13

Hi Ladies,

This is very normal, your ligaments are stretchin so sometimes when you cough or sneeze it feels like something is tearing. Very normal!!!!

Reply to Tam
Posted by: Thabs | 2007/04/13

I also feel the same pain when I sneeze. I haven't asked my gynae, but I thought maybe it is because I had a ceaser before.... I really don't know if it's normal. ...need to ask gynae.

Reply to Thabs