Question
Posted by: Angela | 2008/01/28

Hurting myself in my sleep

I'm a little concerned. I generally have had sleeping problems such as nightmares but recently I'm concerned with my "sleeping behaviour".

Last night I scratched my arm until it was basically raw and almost bleeding. I am now at work covering my arm because it looks like I've been mauled by a cat and I'm too embarassed to say it was me! I was semi-conscious when I was scratching my arm because I remember it being really itchy but it's almost like I had no common sense in that state. I did not think of stopping but in my alert, fully conscious state, I would have stopped scratching myself because I would know it was hurting me!

I have been exhausted and the doc gave me a vitamin B injection on Firday because I've struggled to get out of bed. I've noticed that when I'm so tired (and in my semi-conscious state), I am really nasty to my boyfriend. Again, I'm not actualy really aware of what I'm doing until I'm fully awake. I kick him and shove him and swear at him! This is not like me at all. I also find myself clenching my jaw when I'm stressed!

I am an anxious person & have been in therapy to help me cope. I felt like I was coping until the bizarre sleeping behaviour! Please advise!

None of us are particularly sensible when we're asleep or half-asleep. And the more so if we're udner the influence of alcohol or sleeping meds. Sounds like you're generally over-anxious and tense, and could benefit from seing a good shrink doing CBT And meantime, maybe wear gloves in bed ?