Posted by: Sue | 2008/08/07

Hurtful words!

Just wanted 2 know how people wud look at this problem. My parents &  my bf dont see eye 2 eye, yes parents are always rite but mine are faulty wid every guy i meet. We had a family prob &  it stressd me out 2 a point wer i cudnt eat or sleep &  lost 10 kgs. Now they always hinting that my bf caused it wen they dont realize dat dey did! The other day my mum told me before i use 2 look so pretty,i said im even more pretty now b.coz im more feminine, she said oh dats wat u think, u dont look pretty at all. Dat really crushed me b.coz every1 i know has been telling me its like a new me im looking great now but she always says hurtful things. She hates my bf yet he does alot 4me &  has always been 1 call away, she hates the fact dat dey dont like my bf and i didnt dump him. Is this rite or am i being da bad person?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Sue,

walking the line between parents and a bf or gf is not always easy, especially if for whatever reasons they do not like them. Rather than feeling you have to choose between them its important that you find ways of having relationships with all of them. Sometimes parents find it hard to accept that their children are growing up and some parents actually get jealous of losing their child to a bf or gf because this is a sign of you growing up and over time moving away from your family to the point one day where you will have your own.

Try and keep the balance in these relationships and if your parents see that you are stillcivil and trying to get along with them, but also continuing your relationship with your bf that there is room for them all in your life.

Posted by: Pooch | 2008/09/02

If they do not like him, there is a reason. You will find this reason in the future when he leaves or disappoints you. And believe me, if your paremts have a negative feel about him, they are right.A child is the most important person in their parent' s lives.

Reply to Pooch
Posted by: Amo | 2008/08/08

What do your parents say they hate about your bf? that info will make things easier for people who are trying to help you.

Reply to Amo